An image filename is a unique name used to identify an image in a file system. It consists of a name we assign to it ourselves and a file format.
The filename is your chance of explaining the image content to the crawlers. It should:
- Be readable to humans (don’t name your image IMG_025.jpg)
- Be as descriptive as possible
- But try and keep it short – don’t use stop words like a, the, it, to etc
- Be somewhat unique (using names like shoe1.jpg, shoe2.jpg, shoe3.jpg will not help you much)
- Include keywords
- Use hyphens (dash) instead of underscores